Sunday, May 16, 2010

Miscellaneous

A few short bits about various things:


  • Our holiday finished on Thursday, and after a 2 hour delay with our airport transfer due to some extremely rude and inconsiderate people, we made it home (after picking up my repaired car and our dog, Phoebe), where I promptly started on my Media Studies essay, fried my brain, and went to sleep.

  • I have my second round of blood tests for my endo tomorrow, before we see my OB/GYN next week.  Dave also has to have his test this week.  For a hilarious and touching commentary on these tests from a male point of view, please read "Inconceivable" by Ben Elton (don't bother with the movie version, Maybe Baby: I love Hugh Laurie but the book version is much funnier).

  • I've been slowly slipping into the BBW/Plus Size/Fat Acceptance/HaES (Healthy at Every Size)/Whatever you want to call it community recently, for various reasons.  There's plenty of excellent blogs out there on this stuff, and I've been trying to read as many as I can.  Tasha Fierce, aka @redvinylshoes, recently made a blog post on how she is a "bad fat", which was republished with permission on Jezebel.  The post set off a brouhaha of commentary, quite a bit of which was nasty and also nonsensical.  Tasha's point (I believe) is that fat people are constantly having to defend themselves and their lifestyle, constantly having to try to prove that they are trying to change - but a thin person with exactly the same lifestyle is ignored or praised as "lucky".  She attempted to address the brouhaha back on her home turf.  Because I 'm still new to this community (not in terms of my size (I've been there for a while) but in terms of the whole philosophical concept) I'm still figuring out my stance.  The fact is, I love my food, I'm usually comfortable with my body, and I don't think my lifestyle is that bad.  But I'm still learning that I don't have to justify myself to anyone, that I'm free to live my life how I want, and figuring out the whole "judge not, lest ye be judged" concept.  Tasha has really opened my eyes to all this, and for that I will be eternally grateful.

  • Our fur babies seem to have missed us a lot.  They've been very smoochy.  Of course, it could be part of their world domination plot.  You never can tell with cats (Phoebe, of course, being the cover).




Is your cat plotting to kill you?

No comments:

Post a Comment