Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Curfew

This poem was originally submitted for my uni paper Creative Writing.  This is the revised version.  It is a poetry form called a pantoum.  Writing poetry to form is a challenge, but I really enjoyed writing this.  I love the rhythm of it and I think I will try to write more in this form.

Children play in the twilight
Stark lights shine over the sports field
The cries of the children are muted
The distance between us is great

Stark lights shine over the sports field
I hear you calling my name
The distance between us is great
The wind blows my skirt out behind me

I hear you calling my name
I turn from the sound of your voice
The wind blows my skirt out behind me
Laughing, I run through the grass

I turn from the sound of your voice
Your words are lost on the wind
Laughing, I run through the grass
I hope that you will catch me

Your words are lost on the wind
I hear my mother calling
I hope that you will catch me
It is nearly too late for me now

I hear my mother calling
The cries of the children are muted
It is nearly too late for me now
Children play in the twilight

No comments:

Post a Comment