Tuesday, September 14, 2010

30 Days of Me: Day 6

Day 6 is my favourite superhero and why.  I'm actually going to tell you about two different heroes.

My second-favourite superhero is Superman.  The main reason for this is the following quote, from Kill Bill Vol. 2:
"Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent. He's weak... he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race."
Quite a long quote, sorry, but I love this little speech.  David Carradine was a fabulous actor.

But anyway, that's kind of cheating, because like I said, Superman is my second favourite superhero.  My favourite superhero is Batman.

I've never been a huge comic book geek, but I'm a sucker for a comic book movie.  And I love all the Batman movies, even the ones most people think are crap.  I particularly love Christian Bale as Batman.  The reason Batman is my favourite superhero is that he's just an ordinary guy.  He doesn't actually have super powers, unless you count being fabulously rich a super power, which I guess it kind of is.  He's just an ordinary guy with a butler and a bunch of gadgets.  He makes me think that I could be a superhero too.

Honourable mention also goes to:
  • Hancock, because I watched it last night and it reminded me that I really like that movie even though plenty of people think it was crap. I like Hancock because he tries to act like he doesn't give a shit but he really does want people to like him.  Being abandoned 80 years ago has screwed with his self-esteem and he tries hard but can never get it quite right.
  • Wolverine, because goddamn is Hugh Jackman hot or what?  (Also, by all accounts, a really nice, genuine guy.)  Wolverine has that bad boy vibe going, and who can resist that?
  • Finally, Bumblebee (again, reminded because I watched Transformers last night!), because I love cars and wish I had a car that talked and transformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment