Saturday, November 6, 2010

Big50 Day 1: My 16-year-old Self

This post, to kick off my Big50 Blogging Challenge, is inspired by a trend on Twitter yesterday which involved people tweeting to their 16-year-old selves.  This is what I had to say to myself:
  •  Don't listen to everything your parents say. Whatever you do, DON'T lose contact with Rhys! You'll regret it later.
  • Don't let the haters get to you. You are BEAUTIFUL & let no one tell you otherwise (from @BBWCupid)
  • You will turn out to be more like mum than you realise. And you won't mind it so much (from @missRbit)
  • Listen to more Green Day. They are going to rock even more later on.
  • You don't NEED to have a career plan. Things will work out. You'll meet cool people and go to cool places.Chill out!
  • Don't give your flute to Brad. You'll regret it later. It's more special than you think.
If you knew me when I was 16 (and now that I think about it, not many people who read my blog did), then the names will mean something.  If you didn't, well, I'm not going into who those people were here.  I actually feel a little uncomfortable sharing my tweets, if we're going for full disclosure - on Twitter, I don't mind revealing a bit more than I probably should, but I know my Mum reads my blog!

This was also yet another hint that @missRbit and I were twins in a past life.

Being 16 was one of the best times in my life.  As a 16-year-old, you're old enough to be treated as an adult, work so you have spending money, and drive, but young enough to still have no responsibility.  You feel as if you can change the world.  The world is yours.  I have a tendency to live in the past a bit, and my 16-year-old-self is one of my favourite Past Me's to visit.

What would you tell your 16-year-old self?

This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

3 comments:

  1. Gees, I really don't know what I'd say to my 16 year old self.

    - You will make it to your 18th birthday, actually, you'll make it to your 24th and still counting.

    - You are stronger then you realise & your family will always love you.

    - Don't leap in to love. Wade carefully in the shallow water, don't jump in the deep end. You'll struggle to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ones, Natalie. I think any message of survival is important. Just knowing that you got through, that you did have people to support you, is a powerful message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being 16 sucked for me. I'm quite happy to never revisit that time again!

    ReplyDelete