Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Big50 Day 17: Meat Loaf

Oh man, I am so far behind, and I started out so well!  I have to catch up, and fast, because I have posts planned for certain days!

So today I'm going to talk to you all about Meat Loaf.  Not the food, as I hope at least some of you have guessed, but the musician.  I fell in love with Meat Loaf after finding his Bat Out of Hell record in a box of my parents' old vinyl.  I even wrote a poem about that discovery.  Here was this man - this fat, messy, hairy man - who still had this amazing power through his voice.  I loved his music - the epicness of it, the emotion of it, the poetry.  It was the start of a life-long love of Meat Loaf.

A few years after that, a boyfriend found out about my love of Meat Loaf, and when I bought my first stereo, he gave me two CDs as a gift.  One was U2's Rattle and Hum (because he was trying to introduce me to them, and I instantly became a convert).  The other was Jim Steinman's Bad For Good.  Chris explained that Jim Steinman has written most of Meat Loaf's hits, and in fact Meat Loaf has recorded several of the songs off Bad For Good.  He was introducing me to the world behind the star, and I loved it.  I've even been known to recognise Jim Steinman compositions when I hear them, like Céline Dion's version of It's All Coming Back to Me Now.  He has such a distinctive style.  I still have both CDs on high rotation.

I'm ashamed to admit that I just realised I still haven't bought Bat Out of Hell III.  I will need to remedy that next time I'm in JB HiFi!

Right before I moved to Australia, Meat Loaf was touring.  I went to his concert in Auckland.  It was amazing, being able to actually see him perform on stage.  He made a joke about the little poem at the start of Hot Summer Night, and Bat Out of Hell sent chills down my spine (as it always does).  My only regret is that I didn't have anyone there with me to enjoy it.  It's the only time I've been to a concert alone, but it was worth it!

Meat Loaf showed me that music is always better if there's real, powerful emotion behind it.  Jim Steinman showed me that a carefully crafted song will always stand the test of time.  Who was your first musical love?


This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know that I can remember who my first musical love was, possibly Eric Bogle when I was quite young (still love his stuff). Meat Loaf though is definitely a favourite, and no party is complete without a rousing sing-a-long to most of the Bat Out of Hell album. Or at very least Paradise By the Dashboard Light.

    ReplyDelete