Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Big50 Day 5: Music

Why did I schedule this so early in my 50 days?  I should have learnt from my 30 Days of Me and left it to the end, because I still haven't sorted out my music collection.  Oh well.

I don't get as much opportunity to listen to music as I'd like.  My new car at least lets me play CDs now, but I need to get a new stereo for it that is mp3 compatible, because most of my music listening time is in the car.  Or on Saturday afternoons at work because I'm alone in the office - I'd like to get some better speakers for work too.

I love Green Day, U2, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Dandy Warhols, Gossip, Nirvana, Madonna, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Lady Gaga, The Offspring, Queen, Basement Jaxx, David Guetta, The White Stripes, Pearl Jam, Pendulum, Metallica, Guns 'N Roses, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Björk...and of course, Meat Loaf (more on him on Day 17!).  Recently I've been listening to Placebo (prefer the older stuff), My Chemical Romance, and Jane's Addiction.  Honourable mention also goes to 30 Seconds to Mars, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, Eurythmics, The Feelers, INXS, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Sneaky Sound System, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, Bullet For My Valentine, Hot Hot Heat, Primus, and The Rolling Stones.  Phew!

I usually try to get to 1 or 2 concerts or festivals a year.  Unfortunately, we're not able to make any this year.  In February next year is the Soundwave Music Festival in Brisbane and holy crap, would I like to go.  Check out the lineup: Iron Maiden, Queens of the Stone Age, Slayer, Primus,  Slash, 30 Seconds to Mars, Bullet For My Valentine, Rob Zombie, Third Eye Blind...Unfortunately, tickets are $160 each, and with the various health issues we've both had recently we simply can't afford it.  Ah well.  I'm really bad in crowds anyway!  And I'm not supposed to be talking about how we're missing it, so moving on, before I get in trouble...

Since we've been on the Gold Coast, we've been to the following:

  • V Festival early 2008: the first music event we went to together and it was amazing.  We were there for the whole day and saw Hot Hot Heat and Modest Mouse, who were both excellent, and were right up the front for Queens of the Stone Age and The Smashing Pumpkins.  QOTSA were simply amazing, Josh Homme, oooh....Sorry, where was I? Oh, right - the atmosphere was great, we were in the perfect spot, and we got to see two of my favourite bands.  Perfect!
  • Foo Fighters Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace tour, late 2008: very good concert, Dave Grohl is so full of energy and I really like that album.  I would have described it as fantastic, but Green Day blew them away (more below).
  • Big Day Out early 2009: Big Day Out is basically just an excuse for a lot of idiots to get drunk and/or stoned.  Plenty of people go just for that, they don't even care who is playing.  I hate the crowd, there has to be a lot of great bands playing for me to risk it.  In 2009 we saw Arctic Monkeys, Sneaky Sound System, Pendulum, Bullet For My Valentine, and Drop Kick Murphys.  We particularly wanted to see The Prodigy, but they were the last to play in one of the tents, we were tired, I was starting to get panicky, there was no way you were getting me in that tent.  So unfortunately, we missed them.  Still, Pendulum were just about worth it alone.  Bullet For My Valentine sucked, I don't know if they generally suck live or if it was just that one performance, but they were a real disappointment.
  • Green Day 21st Century Breakdown tour, late 2009: wow. Just, wow.  I've loved Green Day for ages (before they were mainstream cool and attracted a teeny-bopper following) and we had previously missed their American Idiot tour because it was right before we moved up from Hobart (and of course they didn't go to Hobart - who does?).  Green Day were one of the bands I was determined to see live at some point in my life, and there was no way we were missing this concert.  It was just amazing, we were on our feet the whole time, screaming along...They performed a lot of old stuff as well as most of the 21st Century Breakdown album.  Love, love, love.  Best concert I've ever been to.
Nothing in 2010 unfortunately, but hopefully we make it to something next year!



This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

No comments:

Post a Comment