Thursday, November 11, 2010

Big50 Day 6: TV

I know Day 6 is supposed to be about books, but my Books post is going to be way longer and more work than my TV one and I'm too tired, so I'm swapping days!

I've never been a huge TV watcher.  My family happily watch TV.  When I was a teenager I used to prefer to sit in my room and read, but my Daddy would tell me to "come out and be sociable", so I'd sit in the lounge and read while they watched TV instead.  But there are some TV shows that I like.

My favourite TV shows are generally British comedy (like my favourite movies!).  Blackadder and The Young Ones are my two favourites, and I also like Coupling (the original British version).  I've also recently discovered Black Books (and am partway through Season 2).  I used to be a huge Simpsons fan, not so much recently, but I'll still happily zone out on a Sunday morning with the Simpsons re-runs for 3 hours, if given the chance.

My favourite current TV shows are House and The Big Bang Theory, which should come as no surprise.  House because I love Hugh Laurie, Big Bang because it's a TV series for nerds!  I also liked the first season of Heroes (never watched more than that, apparently I'm not missing much).  My friend keeps telling me to watch Chuck, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I used to watch Next Top Model (US and Oz versions) but I got so frustrated with the obvious staging and general crapness that I kicked the addiction and have been Top Model Free for about a year now!  I also enjoyed Girls of the Playboy Mansion, because I'm a bit of a Hugh Hefner fan, but stopped watching after the original 3 girls left.

We have satellite TV, so we have plenty of channels to choose from, but we mainly have it for the sports.  I also enjoy the documentary and animal channels, although they're mostly war and "most dangerous jobs" type deals now, which is a bit disappointing.  I love David Attenborough documentaries.  And I also watch a bit of music TV.  Not MTV, are you kidding?  MTV showed so little music that now it's classed as a reality channel and is not even in the block of channels for music any more.  They gave us "MTV Classic" instead, which is supposed to actually play music, but they still use it for crapumentaries about musicians, or countdowns or whatever.  Apparently we got another MTV channel this week, but I don't know what that's like yet.  I used to like VH1 but they took it away and replaced it with the MTV Classic channel.

Do you have a TV show you can't miss?


This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I missed out Arrested Development, Better Off Ted and Red Dwarf! Oops :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped watching TV on television almost 3 years ago, and I don't miss it at all.

    However I do watch TV shows on DVD or download, and my current favourites are Big Bang Theory, Glee and STILL Law and Order: SVU (it's been a lot of years!)

    ReplyDelete