Friday, November 12, 2010

Big50 Day 7: Books

I might have mentioned once or twice before that I read.  A lot.  I have 5 bookshelves that are absolutely chocker-block (including one dedicated to cookbooks).  I mostly read fantasy.  David Eddings was the first fantasy I ever read and still has a special place in my heart.  I love George R R Martin for his realism and his amazing characters.  I am a complete Harry Potter nerd.  I'm in the middle of re-reading the series at the moment in preparation for movie #7.  I've read the entire series through so many times I've lost track, and I still find new things each re-read.  There are still scenes that make me cry every time (Neville and his parents in St Mungos in Phoenix springs to mind).

I also love Stephen King books, especially the Dark Tower series.  The Gunslinger has the most hook-y opening line ever: "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."  Does that make you want to keep reading or what?  The Stand is also a perennial favourite.  Terry Pratchett is hilariously funny.    Ditto for Ben Elton.  Patricia Cornwell is also an author I like - I wanted to be Kay Scarpetta when I was a teenager!   Speaking of...when I was a teen, I loved Margaret Mahy and Roald Dahl (I still love Roald Dahl).  Historical fiction is also a genre I like, particularly Margaret George, and Guy Gavriel Kay writes novels that are somewhere between fantasy and historical fiction.

Apart from fantasy, I also enjoy reading books that expand my general knowledge.  I have a bookshelf dedicated to non-fiction books as well.  Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics are both excellent.  Anything by Bill Bryson is amazing, particularly his Short History of Nearly Everything.  Also, Richard Dawkins is the reason I now identify as Atheist.  The God Delusion really opened my eyes and helped me work through my spiritual beliefs.  Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder should be required reading for any Philosophy 101 course (and anyone interested in philosophy).


I think that's barely scratched the surface of my reading habits!  I used to go through around 3-4 books a week, but since I've been studying and my working hours have changed, I've had less time than I'd like to read.  What sort of books do you like?


This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

1 comment:

  1. We have several common favourites!

    I'm not reading much lately, but I hope that I'll fall back into it before too much longer.

    ReplyDelete