Sunday, November 14, 2010

Big50 Day 9: Baking

I love baking, that's no secret.  I probably get it from my father's mother, who always had home-made biscuits and slices and various other goodies in tins in her pantry.  When I went back to NZ to see her when she was very sick, before she died, Mum and I made Nana some rock cakes.  She wasn't too sick to demand cherries n her rock cakes!  Baking Nana's specialty with my Mum in Nana's kitchen is a very special memory.

I try to bake every week or so, although it doesn't always work out that way.  I'm currently on a bit of a biscotti kick - they're perfect for dunking in tea and everyone loves biscotti!  I gave people at work so much biscotti, I was dubbed the Biscotti Fairy, and so another Twitter account was born.  I also love rock cakes, and make a mean Carrot and Orange cake.  I try to bake bread as often as I can as well.

One thing Dave and I do each year is make a Christmas Fruit Cake.  I'm not sure where he got the recipe from, but we make the same one each year.  It's loaded with fruit and extremely alcoholic and is always popular!  It's so rich it doesn't need icing.  We're soaking our fruit overnight tonight to bake the cakes tomorrow.  This year we are also making a Christmas Pudding.  We planned to do it next weekend, which is, by happy coincidence, the traditional weekend for making Christmas Pudding anyway (Stir-Up Sunday, the Sunday before Advent).  I also usually make spice cookies or something, for people who don't have alcohol.  I'm planning on getting some Christmas cookie cutter shapes this year!

Baking is a very nurturing thing, I think.  The act of making something from scratch and sharing with others always makes people happy.  I believe most problems can be solved with a cup of tea and a biscuit, especially if the biscuit is home-made!

This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

No comments:

Post a Comment