Sunday, November 14, 2010

We Interrupt This Blog For Some PSAs...

Dear readers, you remember back when I introduced this blogging challenge and mentioned the fabulous Sleepy Dumpling?  Well, she's just announced on her blog that on Australia Day (January 26, for you non-Australians) she is going to shave her long pink hair all off to raise funds for the Australian Cancer Council.  I can't express how amazing this is to me.  Please donate, if you can, and come along to the event if you're in the Brisbane area.

On the subject of fundraising, I'm also going to take this opportunity to  plug my favourite charity, Child's Play.  Started in 2003 by the guys behind my favourite webcomic, Penny Arcade, Child's Play collects donations of cash and gifts for children in hospitals at Christmas.  You can choose which hospital you'd like to donate to, including hospitals in Australia and New Zealand.  I've supported these guys every year since they started and it always amazes me how much the gaming community, and people in general, get behind this great charity.

Even if you don't choose to donate to either of these causes, please spare a thought for those people who are not as fortunate as we all are.  While I usually hate Western Christian ethnocentrism, Christmas really is a good time to remind people how lucky we are (you might not think you're lucky or fortunate - but if you're reading this blog, that means you have access to an internet connection, which means you're more fortunate than a lot of people).  So, please consider donating to one of the many charities that do fundraising drives at this time of year - food, clothes, money, or time, it all helps.  And if you have a favourite charity, post it in the comments!

1 comment: