Thursday, December 2, 2010

Big50 Day 22: Tea

I've always been more of a tea person than a coffee person.  I think that's because my Daddy drinks tea.  I used to have mine like him - with 2 sugars - but I've managed to cut back to one now.  I have a very specific way of making my tea if it's with a tea bag - I put the milk in first, then the hot water, and I always leave the spoon in the cup and drink it with the spoon there, stirring it as I go.  Dave flat-out refuses to make my tea how I want it (milk first) - but he never forgets the spoon!

Recently I've started drinking more loose-leaf tea.  I finally got around to visiting the Tea Centre store in Robina and bought some Formosa Choice Oolong and a little tin and strainer to keep at work.  The Oolong is delicious with a little squeeze of mild-flavoured honey and no milk.  I have a little tea ceremony and it helps me de-stress.

For home, we bought the Ceylon Ruhuna, which is nice and strong, just how Dave likes his tea.  Today I also bought a little tin of Earl Grey Blue Flower for work (Dave doesn't like Earl Grey) which smells absolutely divine.  I love visiting the Tea Centre, I just want to smell all their teas!

My friend @missrbit is heading home to India for a holiday next week and has promised to bring me back some Darjeeling tea, which I'm really looking forward to.  It was the only condition on which I would allow her to desert me for a month!

I guess I'm becoming a bit of a tea snob.  We're planning on putting up a shelf in our kitchen to keep our growing collection of tea on!  I strongly believe that most problems can be solved with a cup of tea and a homemade biscuit.

What's your favourite sort of tea?


This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not very adventurous with tea most of the time, Twinings English Breakfast is my usual brew but I do keep Earl Grey and a Chai mix on hand as well. We make a pot with loose leaf EB most mornings.

    I keep meaning to try other teas as well, perhaps I need a smaller pot so I can experiment with just one or two cups worth at a time. The big pot makes 4 big mugs worth. (I prefer loose leaf whenever possible.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twinings English Breakfast is one of my favourite bag teas. My current bag tea brand is Nature's Organics which is very good. We usually have a chai mix floating around as well.

    You can get little tea strainers that go right in the cup so you don't have to make a whole pot. That's what we use at the moment because it's easier. My Oolong that I use at work I can re-use several times - I just leave the strainer with the leaves in it on it's tray on my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been a coffee girl, but as I get older I'm discovering a love of tea. I am not at all fond of black tea (the smell bothers me) but I love green and white tea, and a lot of the herbal "infusions", as I know one can't rightfully call them teas.

    Chinese green tea was the door opener for me - once I discovered that at Yum Cha... it was ON!

    ReplyDelete