Monday, December 13, 2010

Big50 Day 26: Trivia

I collect Trivia.  I have several books of trivia, such as Guinness World Records books, books about urban legends, general knowledge books, that kind of thing.  I soak up minor snippets of information like a sponge.  Whenever I encounter something I don't know much about, I look it up on Wikipedia.  I'm pretty good at Trivial Pursuit, but useless at anything that requires me to remember a date!

I really enjoy learning new things, and trivia is one of the things I enjoy the most.  It's fun to be able to remember strange facts about people and places.  Whenever I go somewhere new, I always read as much as I can about that place, including finding out minor details.

One thing I really love is urban legends.  Snopes is one of my favourite websites.  I'm sceptical of a lot of what I read or hear, and always check Snopes if something seems off.  I'm really annoying with chain emails and Facebook memes.  People seem to hate it when I point them at the Snopes entry on things that they forward me, no matter how politely I do it.  I just want people to think more critically of things they see or read!  Just because someone says it on the news, that doesn't mean it's true.  Critical thinking is a crucial skill.

I seem to have gone off-topic.  That's what you get when I write a blog post when I'm sleepy!


This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed the anger at sharing a Snopes debunk of some silly status thing or email rumour. People don't want to take the time to investigate something themselves, but then they get shitty if you debunk something they've posted.

    Go figure!

    ReplyDelete