Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Big50 Day 28: Body Image

I've talked about body image a few times before, this post being the most comprehensive.  I'm in a pretty good place with my body image right now.  So today I'm going to talk about your body image*.

Yes, you.  How do you feel about your body?  Do you love it?  Do you hate it?  Think about what your body does for you every day.  If you're alive, your body is working hard to keep you that way.  There may be some things that don't work as well as they should, or perhaps work too well; there may be some things your body does that you're not happy with.  Your body is complex, and for you to be here at all is nothing short of amazing.

So why complain to your body about how it looks?  Why lose sleep over the outer shell?  You may be fat or thin, tall or short; you may have a visible disability, or people may judge you based on the colour of your skin.  But believe me, you're going to get enough negativity from everyone else. After receiving so much negativity from others, your body still soldiers on.  Don't you think it deserves a bit of respect from you?


This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.


*Note: I've tried to keep this post as privilege-free as possible, but as a privileged person, that can be difficult.  I'm sorry if I unwittingly offend.  If I do, please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I am my body. I think there is a real disconnect between body and brain for a lot of people, and I understand how that happens because of bodies being so "othered" by the mainstream media and marketing.

    My body isn't always willing to do or be what I sometimes think it should, but it's me and does it's job pretty well, considering!

    ReplyDelete