Friday, December 17, 2010

Big50 Day 32: Poetry

This year I did a Creative Writing paper for my Communication degree.  It had a Poetry component, which I thought I was going to hate, but actually really enjoyed.  I've posted several of my poems on this blog, and recently submitted two of them to Takahē magazine in New Zealand on the suggestion of my tutor.  I haven't heard back yet, but even if they don't publish either of them, the fact that my tutor thought I should at least try is very exciting!  One of the poems also makes me eligible to apply for a prize from my University, which I need to organise before March next year.  I'm also doing a paper solely on poetry in Semester 2 next year!

I haven't read a huge amount of poetry, but am starting to read a bit more, although I have read (and studied) quite a lot of Shakespeare.  A new Aussie blogger I discovered recently, Mim, did a post on poetry a little while ago and I will be using her to find more poetry to read!  I'm also going to start buying my nieces poetry instead of regular books (although their Christmas presents are already bought, sadly) and will definitely introduce my own children to poetry when the time comes!

What sort of poetry do you like?


This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

No comments:

Post a Comment