Thursday, December 23, 2010

Big50 Day 42: Collections

I get my magpie-like collecting and hoarding tendencies from my Daddy.  He has rather a lot of fishing rods (although he would scoff at the idea he collects them), and a lovely collection of vintage pocketwatches.  Considering his collection has been amassed almost entirely through TradeMe (NZ's answer to eBay), he's managed to pick up some beautiful watches and some really good bargains.  He'll happily talk for hours about his watches, showing you the mechanisms and waxing lyrical over their functional beauty.

But this post isn't about his collections, it's about mine!  One thing I collect, although this is currently on hold due to a lack of suitable display options, is dragon figurines.  I have a pretty nice collection that is currently bubble-wrapped and sitting in a box in the spare wardrobe.  When I have space for a china cabinet, I will start this collection again.

We have a very modest collection of antique books that was recently boosted by inheriting some from Dave's grandmother.  In particular, I like collecting old Shakespeare editions.  I picked up a fairly good condition vintage complete works in an op shop for $3 that is worth quite a bit more than that.  This is another collection that I'm slowly building up.

Another thing I collect is cook books.  I have one whole bookshelf specifically for cook books.  It's kind of inaccessible at the moment so I tend to stick to just 2 or 3 that I have out and handy, one being my copy of the Edmonds cook book that sits in nearly every Kiwi household kitchen.  I can't resist picking up cook books when I see them on sale.  Dave has tried to ban me from buying any more but that hasn't worked out too well!  Oooh, vintage Edmonds cook books!  Hmmm.

What do you like collecting?


This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

1 comment:

  1. I collect Toshiba Libretto laptops :-D Currently have a 50CT, 100CT, and 2x U100.

    ReplyDelete