Thursday, December 23, 2010

Big50 Day 43: Grandmothers

I've already spoken about my Nanas on a couple of occasions. They were and are inspirational women, and I can't say much more on the topic other than that I miss very much my Nana D, who died earlier this year, and my Nana W, who I don't get to see nearly as often as I'd like.  Unfortunately, it's difficult for her to travel, and she wasn't able to make it to our wedding.

I wanted to write something about Dave's Gran, but I haven't gotten a copy of the eulogy his Uncle gave at her funeral in October.  I will say that she was a pioneering, opinionated, inspirational woman.  She worked with Aboriginal people and was involved in the Baha'i church and loved writing letters to her grandchildren.  We had a lovely holiday with her when we went cruising on the Murray River with Dave's Mum and my parents, and she also came up from Adelaide for our wedding earlier this year.

I wouldn't be who I am today without the influence of these three women, especially my own two Nanas, and most especially Nana D, who looked after my sister and I so much when we were children.  We went to her house every day after school, and clearly some of her characteristics have rubbed off on me.  I love and miss my Nanas very much and am already counting the days to Christmas 2011 when I'll be in NZ and able to catch up with Nana W.


This post is part of my Big50 blogging challenge series.

No comments:

Post a Comment