Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's ReVolution

So last night I was going to post a 2010 wrap-up like plenty of other bloggers.  But I decided not to, for two reasons: 1) I didn't want to participate in the clich√©; and 2) I want to focus on the future, not dwell on the past.  So, no 2010 wrap-up for me.

I'm also not making a New Year's Resolution, exactly.  This time of year, so many people talk about how "bad" they were over Christmas, how they "overindulged", and thus, there is a proliferation of New Year's Resolutions to lose weight.  This is, to me, harmful and wrong, and reinforces the weight-loss culture we are all exposed to every day.  There is not a single study that proves that long-term weightloss is possible and sustainable in ANY form for a significant number of people.  The majority of people who do lose weight gain it all back and more, and this weight-cycling is harmful in many ways.

So, instead of a New Year's Resolution that's impossible to keep, I'm participating in the New Year's ReVolution.  You can see the resource page here, and the Facebook Event page here.  As usual, Fat Heffalump also has a fabulous post about this topic.  Even if you don't buy in to the whole Health at Every Size (HAES) philosophy, the message I hope everyone takes away from this is to love yourselves and your bodies, because you are deserving of that love.

Each day in January, I will be trying to do something from each of these categories:

  1. Joyful movement: moving my body for the joy, the pleasure of it, instead of treating it as a chore
  2. Intuitive eating: listening to what my body wants and eating accordingly - taking note of my hunger and satiety signals
  3. Self-care: taking a few moments to do something for myself each day
  4. Self-esteem: boosting my self-esteem through my thoughts and actions
  5. Connecting with others: taking time to interact with and really connect with other people, through a smile or a conversation
I'm hoping that if I can do these things each day through January, they will become habits and second nature.  Some of these things I do already, on most days, others need a lot more work.

I want to stress that the point of this exercise is health - physical, mental, spiritual - and not weightloss.  I don't weigh myself any more and really don't care what my weight is and whether it goes up or down.  I know that is a radical concept to many people, but it's true - I have no idea how much I weigh right now and don't care.

Have you set yourself a weightloss-related New Year's Resolution? Imagine letting go of all that stress, and just loving yourself.  What have you got to lose?

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year honey! Here's to a year free of stress and self loathing!

    ReplyDelete