Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sunday Baking: Raspberry Fudge Brownie

Yes, it's Saturday, but I'm working tomorrow and I baked this (these? Is it "brownie" or "brownies"?) today.  I mentioned it on Twitter and Facebook and everyone seemed jealous of my brownie.  So here is the recipe, and a picture, to make you even more jealous!

Raspberry Fudge Brownie
From It's Easier Than You Think, by Jo Seagar

300g   butter, cut into cubes
300g   dark chocolate, roughly chopped
6      eggs
2C     caster sugar
1 1/2C flour
1/2C   baking cocoa
2tsp   vanilla
1C     whole raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2C   extra chopped chocolate

Preheat the oven to 170C.  Line a 25x35cm sponge roll tin with non-stick baking paper.

Gently melt the butter and chocolate together in a large microwave-proof bowl in the microwave, or gently heat over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until blended.

Beat the eggs and caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add the melted butter and chocolate.  Sift the flour and cocoa together and add to the mixture with the vanilla.  Mix until well combined.  Pour into the prepared tin and sprinkle with the raspberries and extra chopped chocolate.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Cool in the tin and cut into slices when cold.  Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or freeze.



A tip on the recipe page in the book is to simply use a packet of chocolate melts, which is 375g - take out a handful for the sprinkling and melt the rest.  This is what I did.  I didn't bother chopping the ones to be sprinkled, I just left them whole - you can see how they retained their button shape in the picture.  I used frozen raspberries.  I cooked the brownie in my cast 12x11in pan that we got from Dave's parents - easily the most well-used oven pan in our house.  My brownie took over an hour to cook - perhaps because it was in a smaller, deeper pan than recommended.  I lined with foil instead of baking paper because I think it gives a better result for brownies - crisp and chewy on the edge pieces.  I mixed everything up in my Mixmaster, much easier.  I made this as a surprise for Dave while he was at work, so unfortunately I had to lick both the beaters by myself.  What a shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment