Sunday, May 15, 2011

OOTD: Geek Punk

(This is actually Friday's outfit, but Blogger was down.)

For Christmas I wanted a pair of Dr. Martens boots.  I decided that months before Christmas, but Docs are a lot of money.  Christmas came and went, and I kept putting off the purchase.  About a month ago, I decided to check if the store I was going to buy them from (Platypus Shoes in Robina) would do layby.  They did!  So I went in and chose my Docs: 1460 Black Worn 8-up boots.  I put them on 6-week layby and started paying them off.  But the weather here has been getting colder and colder and I really needed a pair of winter shoes.  I'd been wearing Dave's Rivers shoes, but I discovered on Thursday that the soles of both shoes had cracked all the way through in two places.  So I had to finalise my layby and pick up my Docs a fortnight early!

For their debut I went with a bit of geek punk - skinny black jeans and a geeky t-shirt:

Jeans: JeansWest
Hoodie: Mambo
T-shirt: ThinkGeek

The "Worn" collection is supposedly pre-broken-in, so they're supposed to be more comfortable straight out of the box.  Now, it's been a very long time since I broke in a pair of Docs, but I'm fairly certain these were just as painful the first day wearing them.  The thing with Docs is that, once they're broken in, they're the most comfortable boots you can own...But breaking them in is a pain in, well, the foot!  By the end of the day I had a blister on each heel and a ring of bruises above each ankle.  But I'll persevere.  I know they'll last me a long time.

Let's take a closer look at my t-shirt:




"Schrödinger's Cat" is a thought experiment.  For those of you who are Big Bang Theory fans, you'll recognise it from the Season 1 finale (although you probably knew what it was already, you nerd you).  For those of you who don't get it, feel free to refer to this helpful summary from ThinkGeek.  Nerds rule!

2 comments:

  1. Love this so much!!

    I've been wanting to get a new pair of Docs, but money & the thought of breaking them in has put me off! I have a pair that my parents bought me for school shoes around 15 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, it was a big decision for me to get one. Spending that much on a pair of shoes is not done lightly for me...But knowing they will last a long time and never go out of style makes it worth it :)

    ReplyDelete