Monday, May 2, 2011

Sunday Baking: Margarita Brownies

My blog seems to be nothing but recipes recently, huh?  Probably because that's mainly what I do with my spare time!  A recipe for Extra-Dark Brownies with Sea Salt & Lime popped up in my Tumblr feed courtesy of gastrogirl.  I thought to myself, "Sea salt and lime? Why not add tequila and call them Margarita Brownies?" So that's exactly what I did!

Margarita Brownies
Makes 16
Adapted from the kitchn's Extra-Dark Brownies with Sea Salt & Lime

150g   unsalted butter
100g   Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa chocolate PLUS
20g    Lindt Excellence 85% Cocoa chocolate, broken into squares
1C     sugar
3/4C   plain flour
1/4C   cocoa powder
2      eggs, beaten
1tsp   vanilla
1/4tsp salt
1      lime
60g    Lindt Excellence 85% Cocoa chocolate, finely chopped
1tbsp  tequila
3/4tsp flaky sea salt

Preheat oven to 160C.  Line a baking pan with 2 layers of foil, leaving long overhangs, and spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Melt the butter and the 100g + 20g chocolate over low heat in a large saucepan, stirring constantly until smooth.

Remove from heat and add sugar, flour, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla and salt.  Mix until combined.  Then zest and juice the lime into the saucepan and add the tequila.  Mix until just combined.  Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle the flaky sea salt on top.

Bake for 25-35 minutes until the brownies are done - a skewer should come out with some mixture clinging to it but shouldn't be sticky.  Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before lifting from pan, removing foil and cooling on a wire rack.

***

I found it quite hard to find the unsweetened chocolate the original recipe called for.  Because the Lindt Excellence chocolate comes in 100g blocks, I decided the easiest way to get the required chocolate was to buy one block of 70% Cocoa and one block of 85% Cocoa.  Each square is 10g.  Following my recipe gives you 2 squares of 85% Cocoa to nibble on while you bake!

I added a shotglass of tequila which made the recipe too wet, so I had to add a bit of extra flour.  Even 1tbsp might be too much.  You can omit the tequila and the recipe should still work out fine.  My brownie pan is 12x11in, bigger than the 8in square one suggested in the original recipe.  After 20 minutes my brownies seemed cooked but the tequila had risen to the top and was still evaporating off, so I left them for 5 more minutes to let the tequila finish evaporating.  They turned out moist and slightly bitter and very rich.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment