Friday, June 17, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 2

A Book That You've Read More Than Three Times


I have read a LOT of books more than three times.  My favourite books I read over and over, returning to them like old friends.  If I picked a book at random from one of my four overflowing bookshelves, chances are it would fall into this category.

In the end, I settled on Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder.  I was first given a copy of this book in my first year of university by my boyfriend at the time, whom I met through a shared philosophy class.  So Sophie's World, an introduction to Western philosophy, was an appropriate gift.

Whenever I'm feeling confused about my place in the world, or overly jaded and cynical, I read this book.  It always reminds me that the most important thing we should do is to cultivate our sense of wonder.  The world is an amazing place, truly amazing, and we are amazing too.  As noted in the book, we, too, are stardust.

No comments:

Post a Comment