Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaBloPoMo: 1 November

Inspired by Miss RBit at Legally Alien, I have decided to do NaBloPoMo (aka National Blog Posting Month) this month.  Every year as November approaches I think to myself, "I'm going to do NaNoWriMo (aka National Novel Writing Month) this year!" - but I never do.  So I figure if I can do NaBloPoMo, at least I'm writing something, right?

I'll be (loosely) following the prompts from BlogHer.  So, let's get this started, shall we?

"Tell us your favorite quotation and why."

I've always been a bit of a quote freak.  I have dozens of notebooks filled with quotations, several quotation books, and whole libraries of movie and book quotes in the shadowy recesses of my brain.  So it's a bit hard to choose a favorite.  At first I thought of
For in dreams we enter a world that's entirely our own.
which is of course a Harry Potter quote.  Then I thought of
Hello.  My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die.
which is of course a Princess Bride quote.  Then I thought of
Our galaxy has billions of stars.  Each of those stars could have many worlds.  Every world could be home to a different form of life.  And every life is a special story of its own.
which is of course from the Mass Effect 3 epilogue (and spoken by Buzz Aldrin, which makes it even more awesome).  Then my brain kept helpfully coughing up dozens and dozens of quotes from all over the place...You get the idea.

Finally, I settled on the quote I want to get as part of a grand plan for a full back tattoo piece, which is:
Nature laughs last.
This is my favorite quote because it speaks to me on a lot of different levels:

  • Ultimately, us humans are really very small
  • Don't get caught up in every day minutiae, just enjoy what we do have, because eventually it will be gone
  • No matter how much we think we have conquered the world, nature has far more power than we do
This quote is featured in the second X-Men movie, X2, on the wall outside Nightcrawler's church, where it's also particularly appropriate given that nature has given humans super powers with which they are attempting to destroy each other.

For such a short quote, it sure packs a punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment